Monday, November 1, 2010

Getting Ready for Virginia HT

We're busily preparing for the Virginia HT-- last minute travel food, silver polish, chiropractic adjustments. Keeper is getting lots of napping time in, and the flax seed is finally producing a shine and dapple. We decided to simply do light dressage workouts and save the jumping for the show. I've lowered my stirrups, hoping it'll encourage me to sit taller and keep my shoulders back. I'm very excited that she is in the championship division for Area 2.

We enjoyed a clinic with Jimmy Wofford at Sunrise Farm last week. We was adamant that we would "get' our distances, even though Keeper was hanging behind my leg. We achieved our goals and finished well on a "sloppy track"... and he told a story of a fellow saying , "if you want to have your horse jump like a pony, you have to ride like a child!" So I guess my elbows etc got the job done. He's very respectful of Connemaras and their crosses. After my last clinic on Mikey, he said, "that's a nice toy you have there."

My good friend and rider Kristen Laluna is leaving me for greener pastures in Charlotte after this show. I will be lonely without her. She rode my guys all winter while I was injured, and she learned how to drive the rig so she could get me home from Md, and graciously gave me my horses back as I recovered my legs. This weekend she'll give Dawn's Sunrise his first recognized Training run. Sunny used to be my ride, but OTTBs are a bit much for me in my advanced years. He belongs to Steve and Billie Bryant, and needs a home. Got my fingers crossed.

-Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment